The current literature on honesty refers to one’s disposition to tell the truth, refrain from cheating and resist stealing in a variety of situations, in an appropriate way, and for virtuous reasons, unless morally justifiable. We make sure to also include items in this module to gauge “socially desirable responding”, or the tendency to answer questions in a manner that will be viewed favorably by others. By controlling for this tendency in our analyses, we make sure our data gives you a clear idea of what’s actually going on.
- In the past week, I copied off another student during a test.
- In the past week, I let another student copy my homework.
- I took something that wasn’t mine today.
- Today, I lied because I could gain more from it than telling the truth.
- This week, I lied to get something I wanted from a classmate.